By Barry Faulkner
The Breeders’ Cup has been held in California eight times in the last 20 years, the bulk of them – seven of the eight – taking place at Santa Anita Park. This year the show moves south to Del Mar racecourse, 20 miles north of San Diego and it sits right by the Pacific Ocean.
As you will be aware if you have watched the promo on At The Races, the track was founded by Bing Crosby among other Hollywood luminaries and the old crooner even recorded the track’s signature tune.
Del Mar track is a pretty standard American circuit and has a one mile oval main dirt track with a tight seven-furlong turf track on the inner. This means that many of the patterns that have emerged at Santa Anita should carry over.
The only race which will have a significant difference is the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint which will be run over five furlongs on the very flat course here rather than the six-and-a-half-furlong downhill turf track at Santa Anita.
I have considered at each division in turn and have come up with specific guidelines for looking at the races. Hopefully, the following qualitative, as well as quantitative analysis, will assist in identifying potential contenders for the big show in 2017.
To get started, just select a race from the list below.
Good luck everyone!
- Friday 3rd November
- Race 6 - Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (Grade 1)
- Race 7 - Las Vegas Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (Grade 1)
- Race 8 - Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (Grade 1)
- Race 9 - Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (Grade 1)
- Saturday 4th November
- Race 4 - 14 Hands Winery Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (Grade 1)
- Race 5 - Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (Grade 1)
- Race 6 - Breeders' Cup Filly And Mare Sprint (Grade 1)
- Race 7 - Breeders' Cup Filly And Mare Turf (Grade 1)
- Race 8 - TwinSpires Breeders' Cup Sprint (Grade 1)
- Race 9 - Breeders' Cup Mile (Grade 1)
- Race 10 - Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile (Grade 1)
- Race 11 - Longine Breeders' Cup Turf (Grade 1)
- Race 12 - Breeders' Cup Classic (Grade 1)